Moving can be one of the most stressful events in your lifetime. The key to staying sane throughout the process is being well prepared. If you will be moving in the near future, consider these moving tips for keeping the process as stress-free as is realistically possible.
- Clear out unwanted goods – hold a garage sale.
- Get rid of flammables – paint, petrol, gas cylinders.
- Empty fuel from mowers, clippers, trimmers and so on.
- Clothes – do you need them all? Charity shops may want them.
- Separate books – disposable, family reading, valuable.
- Check all electrical goods – will they work in the new home?
- Start making up your change of address list.
- Arrange to have mail forwarded.
- Arrange termination date for electricity, gas, oil, telephone and other main suppliers.
- If you are taking electrical goods such as a stereo, see if you still have their original boxes.
- Have rugs cleaned.
- If you have children, separate cherished toys to travel with you.
- Round up personal documentation – marriage/birth certificates, driving licenses and so on.
- Keep passports separate so they are not packed.
- Want to take the car? Check on import regulations and the duty payable.
- With regards to family pets– make sure vaccinations and documentation are up to date.
- Will your new home be ready? If not, you need to arrange temporary storage.
- Shops, schools, theaters, life styles – it’s never too early to find out about your new home.
- Start running down freezer stocks.
- Arrange your finances – close or transfer bank accounts, savings accounts and so on, if necessary.
Use only strong, corrugated cartons with covers. We can supply you with specially made cartons, for everything from mattresses to clothing and mirrors. The added protection of mover-provided cartons may avoid damage that results from the use of poor-quality packing materials.